A history of serving communities
We may be a modern and innovative 21st century business, yet we’ve a proud heritage that goes back as far as 1864, when the Huddersfield Equitable Permanent Benefit Building Society was established by three gentlemen. In fact, early Directors of the Society include a Dentist, a Shoemaker and a Plumber!
- In 1866 the West Yorkshire Building Society was established at the Royal Hotel in Dewsbury with only 2 employees.
- 1885 saw the Bradford Self Help Permanent Building Society established in St George's Hall Coffee Tavern.
- 1885 - 1930 saw changes to all the Societies, including electric lights being fitted (1893), the first female employed (1915), and Bradford modernising their offices with rubber covered floors and ultraviolet ray glass (1930)!
- In 1975 The Huddersfield and Bradford Building Societies merged in one of the largest building society marriages to date.
- In 1982 The Huddersfield, Bradford and West Yorkshire Building Societies also merged, and the ‘Yorkshire Building Society’ as we know today was born.
Since our birth we've constantly grown and developed. Developments include:
- A merger with Haywards Heath Building Society in 1992.
- Establishing Yorkshire Guernsey Ltd in 1990 as a wholly owned subsidiary of the Yorkshire, offering offshore investment facilities.
- A merger with the Gainsborough Building Society in 2001.
- In 2002 YBS created Yorkshire Key Services (YKS) to sell our market leading IT systems to other financial institutions.
- In 2003 we launched Accord Mortgages, our intermediary-only mortgage lender.
- A merger with the Barnsley Building Society in 2008 and with Norwich & Peterborough Building Society in 2011.
- We merged with Chelsea Building Society on April 1st 2010 to create a larger, more stable society firmly based on mutuality.
To say that we’re proud of our heritage is an understatement. Join our award winning, talented team of professionals and you’ll help us build an even stronger future.